This article will walk you through the necessary steps to successfully activate your Menu integration with DataOwl. You will complete the following high-level steps (in order) →
- Set up your sync
- Enter your Leafly API key in DataOwl
- Activate and configure your menu sync in Leafly Biz
Please Note: Field support is dependent on your POS; however, DataOwl does offer a way to include additional data for some fields. Please review below.
For any integration issues you are having on Leafly, the DataOwl team has instructed us to direct those to this form: DataOwl Product Inquiry. After supplying your location information and issues, the DataOwl team will triage and assist you further.
Menu attributes that will sync to Leafly’s front-end →
- Item Name
- Category Type (Accessory | Seeds | Clone | Flower | Edible | PreRoll | Concentrate | Cartridge | Topical | Other - see FAQs for DataOwl Category Mapping)
- Brand (if this is not supported in your POS, this is available in DataOwl - see FAQs for additional details)
- Strain (if this is not supported in your POS, this is available in DataOwl - see FAQs for additional details)
- Compound (THC + CBD)
- Images (if this is not supported in your POS, this is available in DataOwl - see FAQs for additional details)
- Description (on the DataOwl roadmap - see FAQs for additional details)
- Inventory Level
- Price (Sales tax is not included for all POS systems - see FAQs for further details)
- Enable / Disable Pickup on Items (products can be marked for Pickup within DataOwl)
|Leafly Field||DataOwl Field||Notes|
|Item Name||DO > Digital Menu > Inventory Source > Name or Display Name||In DO, you will have the ability to enter a “Display Name” for the items (it will
not make a change in your POS).
Don’t adjust this or it may result in errors
|Category Type||Within your POS||You also will be mapping your POS Category to Leafly’s equivalent.
|Strain Name||DO > Digital Menu > Inventory Source > Strain||If your POS does not support Strain, you can enter the data into Dataowl.|
|Brand Name||DO > Digital Menu > Inventory Source > Brand||If your POS does not support Strain, you can enter the data into Dataowl.|
|Compound Data (THC + CBD)||Within your POS|
|Description||DO > Digital Menu > Inventory Source > Description||If your POS does not support Description, you can enter the data into
|Image||DO > Digital Menu > Inventory Source > Image||If your POS does not support HQ Images, you can enter the data into Dataowl
(or if you would like to override your POS image)
|Price||Within your POS||Sales Tax (ONLY AVAILABLE IN BT FOR DISPLAY), but is not supported
otherwise. Don’t adjust this or it may result in errors
|Enable / Disable Pickup||DO > Leafly > Menu Products > Pickup||You can enable / disable products for pickup by product within Dataowl.|
FAQ (prior to syncing, please review)
If I have an existing menu in Leafly, do I need to save it prior to syncing my POS menu?
- No. Leafly will automatically save a copy of the menu that you maintained before connecting your POS system. If you encounter any issues with the data that is pulled in from your POS, you can quickly revert back by selecting “Disconnect and restore pre-POS connected menu data” when disconnecting the POS and reverting the menu back to its original state. To learn how to disconnect your point of sale, we advise following the instructions in this article: How do I disconnect my point of sale?
When should I expect to see our Leafly menu up to date after making changes in DataOwl?
- Changes within DataOwl should automatically sync to Leafly’s menu. Please allow 10 - 15 minutes for the menus to sync. Please note: you can also manually push changes in DataOwl by clicking the “Leafly Menu Sync” button on the Leafly Integrations pages.
Can I manually update fields on Leafly Biz that are missing?
- With this integration, when you are synced, you can:
- manually select staff picks
- override status of items received from the POS (active/inactive)
- set inventory thresholds at a global and category level
- override your POS menu items with your own product photography, descriptions, potency values and more
- If you disconnect and choose to retain data from your last POS sync, any overrides made in Leafly Biz will remain unless a POS is reconnected and resynced to Leafly.
- If you disconnect and choose to restore pre-POS connected menu data, any overrides made in Leafly Biz will not remain and will be deleted.
What is the pricing to gain access to the DataOwl system (to activate my sync)?
- Leafly Live Connect: $99/month, $350 one-time onboarding fee
- Leafly Live Connect + Digital Menu: $160/month, $350 one-time onboarding fee
- Custom: You can reach out to DataOwl and they will work with you based on your needs (833-999-3282 and / or email@example.com)
Do products on the menu have sales tax associated?
- Currently, sales tax is not included in the pricing for products for those using Green Bits or Leaf Logix. If you are using Biotrack, sales tax is supported. You can decide (by product) if you’d like the product to be Tax Standard or Tax Exempt within Biotrack. To do this, go to your Inventory tab > Current tab > open a product > on the “Tax Category” dropdown, select “Tax Exempt” or “Tax Standard”. The price will then be sent directly to Leafly (with or without tax).
- Clients can also use our tax feature in the Menu Manager Settings Biz to set sales and excise taxes to apply in checkout. To learn more about setting these options, please check out this Help Desk article: Setting up Tax Estimates for your Leafly Menu
How do I add Images if my POS does not support this?
- This field is supported within DataOwl on the Source View page. You can add an image by product, which will then sync to your Leafly menu.
How do I add Brand, Strain and / or Description if my POS does not support this?
- This field is available in DataOwl if the POS does not support it. To do this, go too DO > Digital Menu > Inventory Source > Total Products > Product > Edit > Brand / Strain / Description. You may also override these fields in Leafly Biz Menu Manager tool by selecting the product item and editing the desired field.
Can I get the minimum stock level set to a specific amount (vs. zero) for the menu?
- You can actually set a minimum stock level by product within DataOwl (ex: if you would like one product to not show on the Leafly menu if the stock is 5 or less).
What point of sale systems does DataOwl currently support?
- Currently, DataOwl supports Biotrack, Green Bits and Leaf Logix.
I am not a current DataOwl client, how do I contact DataOwl to learn more about their system?
- You can reach out via phone (833-999-3282) or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Can I regenerate my Leafly API key?
- If you need to regenerate your Leafly API key, please contact Leafly support using our Request Form.
Can I deactivate the menu sync?
- Yes, you can disconnect your POS in Leafly Biz. To learn how to disconnect your point of sale, we advise following the instructions in this article: How do I disconnect my point of sale?
- Open your web browser and sign into Leafly Biz → https://business.leafly.com/Admin
- Once on your dashboard, click on the 'Menu' tab (a new window will open)
- Navigate to your Menu Settings on the Menu page by clicking on the navigation bar in the upper right-hand corner.
- Click on Settings in the drop-down to navigate to your Menu Settings.
- On the Connect your POS screen, select 'connect my POS' to begin the integration sync process.
- Under POS System, select the drop-down to find DataOwl.
Select BioTrack via DataOwl from the dropdown.
- Select 'continue to next step'. Once you do, your Leafly API key will be generated for you to copy.
- Click 'copy' to copy your Leafly API key to share with the DataOwl team.
Note: If a key does not appear, you can click go back and restart the steps outlined above. Your Leafly API key will always be available in your POS Settings tab.
- Once copied, click 'continue to next step' to continue the sync process on Leafly Biz
- Click 'acknowledge and accept' to accept the Data Override Warning and complete the sync process on Leafly Biz.
- You will be taken back to the POS Settings page, with a success message in the upper right corner.
Note: There are steps on the DataOwl side to finish this setup and fully activate the sync. The next section will walk you through steps on how to complete this activation in DatatOwl.
Log into your DataOwl account, which will bring you to your dashboard. Once logged in, go to the Application drawer in the top, left-hand corner →
- Open the Leafly Integration toggle
- Open the Settings toggle
- Select the Basic option
Once on the Leafly Integrations page →
- Paste your Leafly API Key in the Menu Key textbox and click Update
- Toggle “Enable Leafly Integration” on and click Save Changes
- Toggle “Leafly Product Settings” to enable in-store Leafly pick-up
- Select “Leafly product mapping”; Inventory(Types)/Category(Categories)
- Toggle “Live Mode” to enable Leafly Integration and click Save Changes
If you go to the Integration Guide from this page, there are more details from Leafly’s API documentation that provides more information around variants and categories.
Inside your DataOwl account;
- Select “Leafly Integration”
- Then Select “Product Type Mapping”
In the product type mapping page, you are able to view your POS types/categories, and will match your POS types/categories to the Leafly equivalent.
Note: Once selected, the changes will automatically save (no “Save” button to select). Types and categories that are not mapped will not display on your Leafly menu feed.
Creating the Menu Feed
Step One: Once you have set up your sync / config and mapped your types/categories, you can create your menu feed. To do this, go back to the Application drawer in the top, left-hand corner →
- Select the Digital Menu dropdown
- Select the Menu Manager option
Step Two: once in your Menu Manager, select the + button to create a new menu. From here →
- Menu Name: Name your Menu (click next)
- Screen Orientation: Choose Any (click next)
- Menu Type: Choose Product (click next)
Once you have your feed ready, based on your POS, you will select the Inventory Type (Biotrack) that you’d like to begin with and then the category.
Note: All other POS systems will bypass this section and will directly select their Categories. After you have the above selected, you will have the ability to go product by product (or Select All). Please click Next once you have selected/updated your products. Then manually add them to your menu feed via the Menu Editor window.
Once finished with manually adding the items to your menu feed, via the Menu Edit window, please continue past the Devices tab by clicking “Next”. Once finished creating or updating your existing menu, please select “Save” or “Update” to complete the menu creation.
Note: You can save as many menu feeds as you’d like, but only one can be selected for the DataOwl/Leafly integration.
With DataOwl, you can have multiple menu feeds that you can manage for different menus (ex: a Weekly Specials menu). Here, you can manage which menu feed you’d like to sync to Leafly’s menu.
Once you have activated the sync, if you go back to the Application drawer and do the following →
- Open the Digital Menu toggle
- Select the Menu Manager option
Once on that page, choose your created menu →
- Click the … at the top, right-hand corner of the tile
- Click the Publish to Leafly” icon
Once your sync is activated, you have the ability to select the items you’d like to publish. To do this go to your Menu Products page. You can override your default setting for the product being available for Pickup on Leafly. If the product should be published to Leafly.
Note: Products that are not toggled will not sync to Leafly.
If you’d like to add additional data to your products, you can do so on your Source View page. Currently, you can do the following →
- Display Name
Leafly Configuration (post-POS sync)
Once you have successfully synced your DataOwl menu with Leafly, you can configure the integration and override menu data in Leafly Biz. These changes will persist in your Leafly menu unless you disconnect and then reconnect your POS and resync your POS menu data. This section will walk you through the configuration available in Leafly Biz today.
Default Item Status
On the POS Settings page, automatically set new and restocked items to either active or inactive by default. Items automatically set to an inactive status will need to manually be set to active before being visible on online menus.
- Items set to “Active” will show up on all online menus and be set to “Available for Pick-Up/Delivery” if your store participates in any of Leafly’s order ahead programs.
- Items set to “Inactive” will be hidden from all online menus and will no longer be “Available for Pick-Up/Delivery” if your store participates in any of Leafly’s order ahead programs.
Inventory Availability Rules
On the POS Settings page, you can set inventory thresholds at both the Global and Category levels. If a threshold is defined, items with inventory counts under the thresholds set will be automatically hidden from your online menus. By default, the threshold is set to 1.
Inventory Exclusion Rules
On the POS Settings page, you can permanently exclude inventory from appearing on your online menus. You can set exclusions by keywords and categories.
We currently support the following categories → Accessory, Seeds, Clone, Flower, Edible, PreRoll, Concentrate, Cartridge, Topical, Other. If your POS assigned category does not align with a predefined Leafly category, it will be assigned a category of Other by default. Remap categories as desired on the POS Settings tab once your DataOwl menu is successfully synced to Leafly.
On the POS Settings page, you can select which calculation method is applied by default to the THC and CBD values coming from your POS menu. More information on the available calculation methods can be found here.
To learn more, please review this article: Customizing your cannabinoid values on your Leafly menu
Disconnecting your POS
To learn how to disconnect your point of sale, we advise following the instructions in this article: How do I disconnect my point of sale?
Integration Guide Disclaimer
Please also visit our Knowledge Base for helpful hints and tips.