Integration Process Overview
This article will walk you through the necessary steps to successfully activate your Menu integration with Proteus420. You will complete the following high-level steps (in order) →
- Review the FAQs prior to syncing
- Generating your API key in Leafly
- Enter your Leafly API key in Proteus420
- Post-Integration Actions in Leafly
Leafly Setup - Generating your API Key
1. Accessing the Integration Settings
- Open your web browser and sign in to Leafly Biz → https://business.leafly.com
Navigate to the left side panel, and click on the 'Settings' arrow
- A drop-down will appear. Select the 'Integrations' option.
2. Integration Setup
- On the Connect your POS screen, select 'connect my POS' to begin the integration sync process.
- Under POS System, select the drop-down to find Proteus420.
- Click the option
Select continue to next step.
Once you do, your Leafly API key will be generated for you to copy.
- Click 'copy' to copy your Leafly API key.
- Once copied, click 'continue to next step' to continue the sync process on Leafly Biz.
- Click acknowledge and accept to accept the Data Override Warning and complete the sync process on Leafly Biz.
You will be taken back to the POS Settings page, with a success message in the upper right corner.
1. Menu Sync Enablement
- Log into your Proteus system
- Go to the Settings tab
- Go to the Data Exchanges home page
- Click the Locations link in the Setup column / Leafly row.
- Identify the correct location (if you have multiple)
- Paste your Leafly API Key into the proper field
- Click Back to Data Exchanges home
Note: If you have multiple locations, you can enter in your API keys for each at once.
2. Category Mapping
- On the Data Exchanges page, click the Categories link in the Setup column / Leafly row.
- On the Categories page, you will choose the Leafly Category for each Proteus Category that you want to send to Leafly.
- Once set, click the Update button to save the data.
- Once completed, click Back to Data Exchanges home
3. Product Syncing
- Once you are back on the Data Exchanges page, click the Products link in the Actions column / Leafly row.
On the Products page, choose a Category.
- If the category has been matched to a Leafly category, your products in that category will be listed.
- Select the appropriate option (Add, Update or Remove)
- Select Send to Leafly
Note: Please be sure you are on the correct location for the changes being made
Leafly Configuration (post-POS sync)
Once you have successfully synced your Proteus420 menu with Leafly, you can configure the integration and override menu data in Leafly Biz.
These changes will persist in your Leafly menu unless you disconnect and then reconnect your POS and resync your POS menu data.
Locate your Menu Manager Settings by checking out this Help Desk article: Where do I locate my menu manager settings and options?
Default Item Status
On the POS Settings page, automatically set new and restocked items to either active or inactive by default. Items automatically set to an inactive status will need to manually be set to active before being visible on online menus.
- Items set to “Active” will show up on all online menus and be set to “Available for Pick-Up/Delivery” if your store participates in any of Leafly’s order ahead programs.
- Items set to “Inactive” will be hidden from all online menus and will no longer be “Available for Pick-Up/Delivery” if your store participates in any of Leafly’s order ahead programs.
Inventory Availability Rules
Related article: Setting inventory thresholds
On the POS Settings page, you can set inventory thresholds at both the Global and Category levels. If a threshold is defined, items with inventory counts under the thresholds set will be automatically hidden from your online menus. By default, the threshold is set to 1.
Inventory Exclusion Rules
On the POS Settings page, you can permanently exclude inventory from appearing on your online menus. You can set exclusions by keywords and categories.
Related article: Customizing your cannabinoid values on your Leafly menu
On the POS Settings page, you can select which calculation method is applied by default to the THC and CBD values coming from your POS menu. More information on the available calculation methods can be found here.
Please note: The THCA Only and CBDA Only setting options are unavailable for this integration.
Disconnecting your POS
To learn how to disconnect your point of sale, we advise following the instructions in this article: How do I disconnect my point of sale?
Proteus420 FAQs (please review prior to menu sync)
Is there a cost associated with using this integration?
- No, there is no additional cost associated with turning on this integration.
If I have an existing menu in Leafly, do I need to save it prior to syncing my POS menu?
- No. Leafly will automatically save a copy of the menu that you maintained before connecting your POS system. If you encounter any issues with the data that is pulled in from your POS, you can quickly revert back by selecting “Disconnect and restore pre-POS connected menu data” when disconnecting the POS and reverting the menu back to its original state. To learn how to disconnect your point of sale, we advise following the instructions in this article: How do I disconnect my point of sale?
Once I make a change in my POS, how soon will I see the changes on Leafly’s menu?
- Changes within Proteus 420 should automatically sync to Leafly’s menu. Please allow 10 - 15 minutes for the menus to sync.
Can I manually update fields on Leafly Biz that are missing?
With this integration, when you are synced, you can:
- manually select staff picks
- override status of items received from the POS (active/inactive)
- set inventory thresholds at a global and category level
- override your POS menu items with your own product photography, descriptions, potency values and more
- If you disconnect and choose to retain data from your last POS sync, any overrides made in Leafly Biz will remain unless a POS is reconnected and resynced to Leafly.
- If you disconnect and choose to restore pre-POS connected menu data, any overrides made in Leafly Biz will not remain and will be deleted.
Once I submit my request to Proteus 420, when should I expect my POS menu to be live?
- The standard SLA for these requests is 1 business day.
Can I regenerate my Leafly API key?
- If you need to regenerate your Leafly API key, please contact Leafly support using our Request Form.
Can I deactivate the menu sync?
- Yes, you can disconnect your POS in Leafly Biz. To learn how to disconnect your point of sale, we advise following the instructions in this article: How do I disconnect my point of sale?
Do products on the menu have sales tax associated?
- Clients can also use our tax feature in the Menu Manager Settings Biz to set sales and excise taxes to apply in checkout. To learn more about setting these options, please check out this Help Desk article: Setting up Tax Estimates for your Leafly Menu
Why is Leafly showing something different for Brand or Strain information than what I have in my POS?
After Leafly receives a menu payload, we will try to match strain and brand information to existing entries in Leafly's database to cross-link and provide greater visibility for menu items across the platform.
Sometimes particular Strains or Brands do not exist yet in Leafly's database. In that case, we are trying to smart-match to the closest available entry. This can result in incorrect links.
You have the ability to change or remove incorrect links by editing those fields within your Menu Manager.
Can I make changes to item data on Leafly while my POS integration is active?
- Yes, with some limitations.
- You are able to override every menu item field except for the price point. This allows you to update Strain or Brand links or supplement other information like cannabinoid data, photos, or description. Leafly defers to your POS system as the source of truth for item pricing.
- These manual overrides will persist on items you edit until they go out of stock and fall off your menu entirely.
Is the Proteus420 POS integration compatible with Leafly's Dual Menu feature?
- No, Proteus420 does not provide enough detail about medical or recreational status of menu items for Leafly to sort your products accordingly. You will not be able to use Leafly's Dual Menu feature.
Proteus 420 Field
Accessory, Seeds, Clone, Flower, Edible, PreRoll,
Concentrate, Cartridge, Topical, Other
Product + its Subproducts
Price, Weight, Unit, Inventory Level
Integration Guide Disclaimer
Please also visit our Knowledge Base for helpful hints and tips.